Thursday, February 10, 2011

How my journey to raw came about...

I thought I would share with you why I decided to choose a raw lifestyle.  Three years ago a beautiful friendship started with Christopher and Amber Hergenreter.  They became very near and dear to our hearts as they still are today.  I cannot remember the exact conversation but one day Amber began to share with me her testimony of how she was healed of a pituitary gland tumor (see her full story Amber's testimony).  I was so amazed! This made me think about my mom and her battle with cancer. While in the hospital they wouldn't let her eat ANYTHING that was living; it all had to be cooked to just about mush.  So, I began my research.  I read all kinds of books, and Amber showed me how to juice.  She even let me borrow her juicer for quite awhile.  I had the knowledge, but I just couldn't do it!  I wanted to be healthy so much that every time I thought or talked about eating this way there was an excitement within me.  I wanted to help others get healthy, not push my new thoughts on them.  However, sometimes when I get excited, I can do just that (which I am allowing the Lord to change in me).  Unfortunately that back fired on me because when I tried forcing my family to switch over to raw well lets just say it was like WW III broke out in the McBride house!  I backed off and just focused on me losing weight, not so much on raw.  Deep down the desire was still there.  The next three years I tried and tried and tried until I FINALLY let what I was reading sink in that MOST people don't do it cold turkey you have to go slow.  This brings us to the last 6 months.  I am not perfect nor do I proclaim to be in this journey I may eat something that is not in my "plan" but that is what grace is for right? 
So you might ask~What are you eating? Well I start my day with water and vitamins.  I take GNC Women's Ultra Mega Active pack.  I then make a green or orange smoothie.  For lunch I will have a good sized salad with a variety of vegetables. For dinner I have some sauteed vegetables with quinoa or just in a lettuce wrap.  I switch it up where I will have cooked veggies for lunch and a salad or green smoothie for dinner.  I have not been 100% I have to be honest one of the days I have had a veggie baked sub, BUT the important thing is that i get right back in the saddle.  Today I have been 100%.  I have to say I feel way better than I have in the past few days.  It is amazing to me how just that ONE thing can make you feel icky. There you have it! I am now on my journey to raw.
Below are two smoothie recipes for those of you interested in trying them out.

Green Smoothie

fresh baby spinach(enough to fill blender)
frozen unsweetened pineapple, mango or any frozen fruit you prefer
one ripe banana
8oz water

For this you really need a high tech blender.  I use the Blend Tec.  Place all ingredients in blender in order listed. I use the whole foods button which is high speed for about 50 seconds.  Pour into pretty glass and use a straw to enjoy.

Orange Smoothie

1 cup baby carrots
frozen unsweetened pineapple or mango
12 oz fresh squeezed orange juice
water (if smoothie is too thick)

place all ingredients in blender in order listed.  Blend on high for 50 seconds.  If the consistency is too thick add some water and blend for a few seconds.

1 comment:

  1. So I hear Mike talking about these smoothies all the time. As a person trying to lose weight and looking for healthy alternatives, these shakes seem to be what I am looking for. I am going out grocery shopping this weekend and these items will be on my list....I may have to get a better blender but that the sacrifice..good luck in your journey. not sure that I could go completely raw but looking at your meal plan it doesnt seem to be to bad, but hard since we are big chicken eaters in our home not so much red meat but lots of chicken..

    ReplyDelete